Important information regarding your account - volatility and margin changes
We’re writing to remind you that the US election takes place on Tuesday, 8th November. Regardless of the outcome, we’re expecting heightened market volatility in the build-up and aftermath.
Temporary margin changes
To help provide an extra layer of protection for our clients, we’ve decided to increase our margin requirements for a small number of markets that we believe may be sensitive to the US election.
From Monday 7th November at 17:00 GMT , the margins will increase and the wording from the affected comments of the margin table will stand as follows:
- Financial instruments should be recognized as currency financial instruments (except: USDCHF, EURCHF, GBPCHF, +, AUDCHF, CADCHF, CHFJPY, CHFPLN, CHFHUF, USDBRL, USDILS, EURCZK, USDCZK, EURHUF, USDHUF, EURPLN, USDPLN, GBPPLN, EURTRY, USDTRY, EURRON, USDRON, EURNOK, USDNOK, EURSEK, USDSEK, USDCLP, USDMXN) as well as instruments based on interest rates: TNOTE, +, BUND10Y, SCHATZ2Y.
- Currently there are no instruments that meet this point criteria.
- Margin collected at opening transactions referred to the following instruments: CZKCASH, VOLX, SUI20, RUS50, HUNComp, BRAComp, JAP225, HKComp, CHNComp, KOSP200, INDIA50, AUS200, NED25, USDCHF, EURCHF, GBPCHF, AUDCHF, CADCHF, CHFJPY.
- Margin collected at opening transactions referred to the following instruments: W20, GOLD, XAUUSD, SILVER, XAGUSD, PLATINUM, COPPER, ALUMINUM, ZINC, NICKEL, OIL, OIL.WTI, NATGAS, CORN, SOYBEAN, WHEAT, SUGAR, COTTON, COFFEE, EMISS, COCOA, US30, US100, US500, UK100, DE30, FRA40, EU50, ITA40, SPA35, POR20, US2000, MEXComp, USDBRL, USDILS, EURCZK, USDCZK, EURHUF, CHFHUF, USDHUF, EURPLN, CHFPLN, USDPLN, GBPPLN, EURTRY, USDTRY, EURRON, USDRON, EURNOK, USDNOK, EURSEK, USDSEK, USDCLP, USDMXN.
The comments mentioned above will be added to our margin table which can be found here.
Please be aware if you are trading on our MT4 platform, and have open positions in any of the above instruments, additional margin will be collected from your account to cover the increase in margin.
If you are considering trading during this time or have open positions in the affected instruments, please take note of the following:
- If you have open positions in your account that you wish to maintain, make sure you have sufficient free margin to cover open trades
- You may choose to top up the funds in your account, to cover your margin level against any potential adverse volatility, however please note that if any open positions continue to move against you, this may result in you incurring further losses
If you have any questions or enquiries, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our customer support team at email@example.com or call us on +44 20 3695 3085.
The XTB UK team